Ron wrote to Greg:

> ** Booking ahead is done because people want to dance with a small subset
> of dancers who are their friends / the "cool, hip dancers" / etc. **
>
> So I don't, as a caller, make the assumption that you present.  Instead, I
> believe that unless a dance specifically fosters a new-dancer-friendly,
> inclusive environment, and goes out of its way to post signs / e-mails /
> promote discussion with callers / etc, dancers will generally see a narrow
> view of what's going on at the dance. It's up to organizers and callers, I
> believe, to specifically shape the dance to a friendly environment ...
>
> ... if that's the dance's goal.

Thanks Ron.  I think we agree entirely about our goals.  Shaping the dance
to a friendly environment is a goal implicit in the open, public nature of
our dances and in the accessibility of the dance form to people of all
skill and experience levels.  As callers and leaders it is our role to
facilitate that.

It is true that many folks “want to dance with a small subset of dancers
who are their friends / the ‘cool, hip dancers’ / etc.”  It is a natural
human tendency to form cliques and subgroups.

But it is also true that:

-          People want to feel they are a part of something larger than
themselves.

-          People enjoy sharing something they are passionate about with
new friends.

-          The structure of the dance itself requires an empathetic
response from the dancers.  We are all in this dance together and if anyone
fails we all fail.

-          Said another way: Our own personal enjoyment depends upon the
success of newcomers in the hall. or Our "enjoyment-maximizing behavior"
includes dancing with first-timers.

-          The caller is in a key position to provide leadership in this
process.

-          There are numerous things the caller can do to make this process
both easy and fun for the regulars as well as for the newcomers.

It is always the caller’s fault.  If the caller is not doing everything
possible to make it easy and fun for regulars to partner with first-time
dancers then any attribution of this problem to “selfish dancers” is
nothing more than a “blame the dancers” excuse for our own poor calling.

This is why I think of open, public contra dances as one of the greatest
challenges for a contra dance caller.  The caller needs to know how to earn
and hold the attention of the hall.  The instructions and calls need to be
clear, precise, structured using the most effective word order, and given
at precisely the time when the information is needed by the regulars so
that they can confidently lead their first-timer partners.

The sad fact is that most contra dance callers—including some very popular
and well known callers—either do not know how to do this effectively or
don’t believe that this is even their responsibility.  Instead they resort
to a “blame the dancers” strategy.  I know this because I did it myself for
more than a decade.

But if the dancers perceive the process of partnering with first-timers to
be a “duty” or “task” instead of one of the primary reasons they enjoy
attending open, public contra dances—and make the effort to drive two hours
to such a dance—this is the caller’s fault.

Sorry about that.

Alan wrote:

> “…if we banned everybody who ever behaved selfishly from contra dances
> we'd have a lot of trouble filling our dance halls.”

Thank you Alan for being specific that it is the *behavior* the caller
needs to address, and not a certain “type” of dancer.   When you adopt the
maxim that the caller takes responsibility for everything that happens in
the hall—which is the only sensible framing that offers us any hope to
”shape the dance to a friendly environment…”—then the caller will assume
the support of all of the regulars in this effort and give them what they
need to partner confidently with first-time dancers and to enjoy that
experience.

Our biggest obstacle to success in this effort is the “selfish dancer”
frame in our own brain which distracts us from the goal of better
calling.  Yes,
it is true.  Some dancers behave more selfishly at times than others.  But
we can choose to “frame” the situation differently.  We can choose to look
at this as a symptom of our calling, rather than a moral weakness in some
dancers.  These folks might be reacting to our failure to make the process
easy and fun.

Instead of complaining about “selfish dancers” I think we would be better
served to discuss strategies, as callers, to better integrate the hall and
make it fun for everyone no matter who they are dancing with or where in
the hall they are dancing.

That’s the way I choose to look at it,

Greg McKenzie