I'm now 69.  If I ever was in it, I passed the hot dancer phase long ago,
 At the most of dances I usually attend, I go out of my way to dance with
newcomers, inexperienced dancers and those who always seem left out--at
least part of the night.  After a few go rounds though, I tend to avoid
those dancers who just make it work to dance with them and that includes
some very experienced (including some folks who have been new dancers for
15 years) and some pretty good dancers who are just annoying.  I often
dance with young people, at least in part because I want them to become
regulars--if they don't become regulars pretty soon everyone at the dance
begins to look like me--nobody wants that.  Also because if they dance with
a patient, non-showoff, experienced dancer they tend to develop good dance
habits--and most dancers do want that.  The one dance where I only
occasionally dance with newcomers is at Glen Echo.  I figure I drive 2
hours or more to get there and 2 or more to get home, I'm going to optimize
my dance experience.  I also believe there are enough regular dancers there
who should be making the effort to make newcomers feel at home.
 Interestingly, I've still danced with enough new dancers there that they
seek me out as a partner.  I understand that absolutely no one is obligated
to dance with me--ever (something I explain very carefully to new, young
dancers), nor is there any obligation to explain or make excuses.  Still,
we should all try to not be rude.  After a while, I just kind of give up.
 They've made it clear that they prefer other dancers.  I can deal with
that.  And to be honest, if I'm wasting my time asking dancers who have
other preferences, I'm missing dancers who would be more than happy to
dance with me. On two separate occasions I decided I was wasting my time
asking already booked dancers and they later came to me and asked me why I
stopped asking.  I explained that by taking time getting turned down by her
I was missing getting on the floor altogether and I'd rather dance than
watch. One of those women now occasionally asks me to dance.  The other
ignores me as if was wearing a vanishing cloak.  There are no absolute
answers, other than to encourage people to be kind, thoughtful, courteous,
understanding and careful.  Kind of like life itself.  Thanks,George