On Jun 6, 2013, at 9:37 PM, Greg McKenzie wrote:

I remember once being in a caller's workshop with Ted Sannella and he asked us how many beats a circle took. We answered "eight," and he said "No. A
circle really takes 10 beats."

- Greg McKenzie

Greg,

I find this story surprising.  Are you sure you're remembering
correctly and, if so, are you sure you're not omitting some
important context or qualification of Ted's remark?

I'm reminded, by the way, of being in a caller's workshop with
Larry Edelman where he asked us about how many beats it took to
do some figure.  (I don't remember for sure whether it was circle
four once around or some other nominally 8-beat figure.)  When we
answered "eight", he corrected us, saying that eight beats was
the time for dancers to do the figure *and be ready to do the
next thing*.

--Jim