 From: Colin Hume <co...@colinhume.com>
To: Caller's discussion list <call...@sharedweight.net>
Sent: Monday, September 9, 2013 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Callers] Calling squares at contra.

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 08:47:54 -0400, JoLaine Jones-Pokorney wrote:
> Speaking as a dancer here and not a caller, I enjoy a square now
> and then but I really don't like it when the caller calls two
> squares back to back...

> In my experience, the main reason contra dancers don't like squares
> is that it takes a long time to get set up, there is a chance you
> will get left out if you're slow to find a partner and then can't
> get enough other people to make a square, and that it often takes
> more teaching time.

The reason I usually call two squares back to back is precisely
because it can take longer to set up.  Contras in The States typically
go on much longer than squares, so it makes sense to do two squares
together.  But I agree that if there's too much teaching time people
will start to complain.

I think part of the problem is that squares are not popular among
contra dancers and therefore callers have less chance to become good
at calling them.  A square is harder to call than a contra, so either
the caller chooses a simple square and gets the response "Squares are
boring" or he chooses a complicated square and gets the response
"Squares are confusing"!  Fortunately there are some great contra
callers who are also great square callers - Kathy Anderson and Lisa
Greenleaf for instance - and they can convince any unprejudiced contra
dancer that squares can be fun.
Colin Hume

Email co...@colinhume.com      Web site http://www.colinhume.com