Yes, I have heard both Susan and Beth call.  Musical calls are fine, but
they don't really allow the band to shine any more.  Same thing with
singing squares-- the band is backup, and the caller is the featured
performer.  Which is great, if that's what you like.  It's not really what
I like, though, and I'd guess that many dancers share that sentiment.
 Maybe, if there were callers who practiced so regularly with a particular
band that they could fit their calls to that band's energy without
detracting from it at all calling throughout the whole dance, that would be
different.  But I've never heard that happen.  Even with callers who are
members of the bands they call with, the bands sound best when those
callers stop calling and take out (or focus on) their instruments.