I agree entirely with Dave.  When I'm dancing I want to feel the music
and dance to that.  I've yet to dance to a band and caller pair where
they really felt like they were producing one music.

(When I'm calling I try to drop out as early as possible and not
choose dances where I'll need to keep calling.  When I'm playing I
like it when callers do the same.)