I'm possibly  a "geezer" too, just not in a contra sense - I've been
dancing since 2007 and calling for just a couple of years. However, one of
the things that I was first impressed by and continue now to value is the
diverse dance programming choice at our local "contra" events. Where I
principally participate (the Massachusetts area, and largely the Concord
Scout House) we're lucky to have squares, contra chestnuts and other folk
dances frequently form part of the program. We're fortunate to have "local"
and regular touring callers of greater renown that routinely program
squares at our events (e.g.: Lisa Greenleaf, Bob Isaacs, Will Mentor, Nils
Fredland, Steve Zakon-Anderson, Sue Rosen - and more that deserve mention
but I'll leave out to be brief).

I personally enjoy this but also note that, despite being known to call
squares, I see no dimunition of the crowds at these callers' dances over
others at the same venues (far from it). BTW, one thing several of these
callers do is offer those "out" for a first square in a double tip to "tap
in" to participate and minimize the waiting out impact.

Also, as a male of "advanced paternal age", I've come to drop my "first and
every dance to the end" addiction and appreciate the smaller community
dances that further embrace such diverse program choices. These also
provide some down time for community and conversation, plus play time for
our toddler so she can attend with us. There's one wonderful local dance
which starts with an all-ages pot luck (where a good bottle of wine or two
is regularly present) and continues to a program of diverse contras old and
new plus several singing squares. We, as dancers from birth to "advanced
dancing age," get to "musically" participate as we sing along, regularly
belting out the refrains of If You Knew Suzie, Trail of the Lonesome Pine,
etc.

I'd offer there's possibly a greater diversity of values in our audiences
than we perceive, and hope we are open to experiencing (and possibly
fostering, in an non-obnoxious way) that within our communities.