I agree with mostly everything you've said, except with the the part
that implies that if another application (be it Safari or otherwise)
deletes my Camino passwords, I'm going to have to just live with it.

Would it be possible for Camino to maintain a backup of all of the
passwords it has created, and if they are missing (and not by Camino's
doing), prompt the user saying something like "It seems that another
application has modified or deleted your Camino Internet Passwords.
Would you like to restore them?"

It just seems that while having and using a central source for this
data is a great idea for many reasons, we're relying on all other
applications being well behaved. Having some sort of user friendly way
of managing that risk seem like it may be prudent.

~Aric