On Wednesday 05 November 2008, Jon Harrop wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 November 2008 15:20:26 Kuba Ober wrote:
[snip]
> > So, please understand that I'm not oblivious to benefits of thinking in
> > higher levels of abstraction, but I'm also practical and know that Qt
> > provides me with a whole big lot of cross-platform functionality that
> > simply doesn't exist anywhere else in one coherent platform.
>
> Maybe if I release Smoke as open source software OCaml will become usable
> for advanced GUI programming. If I don't, I think OCaml is dead in the
> water in this respect.

Would it be useful, then, to have Smoke have a built-in renderer for
embedded/non-accelerated platforms? It should still be faster than Mesa,
since you can work with higher-level objects that can perhaps be drawn
faster with object-specific rendering functions, instead of having
to tesselate everything and then just work on triangles?

I'm pretty sure that such built-in rendering would perform better and
have smaller footprint for non-accelerated platforms than going through
the whole OpenGL stack.

What do you think?

Then, there's still a whole lot of work in getting OCaml interoperate
with native platform (think OLE, browser plugins, yada yada).

Kuba