--- On Sat, 5/15/10, ben kuin <benk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> What if ocamlopt would be dropped for a faster
> ocaml vm?
> >
> > Why? Even if the Ocaml was able to target a faster VM,
> there
> > are still many people who would chose to generate
> native
> > binaries.
>
> I'd call that a questionable decision. As far as I know,
> using native
> binaries means to open a whole range of potentially
> uncorrectionable
> problems with abi incomptabilities between libraries or
> with changes
> of the underlying os.
>
> As far as I know when you go native you always have to take
> abi
> incompatibility and therefore recompilation into account.
> For business
> apps, that's a showstopper.

I have worked in many environments, most have been homogeneous, none have had
more then four platforms. Supporting four platforms is not difficult if your
tools support all four platforms (unfortunately Ocaml's support for Windows is
a bit spotty). Running a VM, no matter how good, is always going to carry a
performance hit. If your code is UI intensive, that may be acceptable (although
I find the startup time for the JVM to be a problem), but if your code is
memory or CPU intensive a VM may be unaceptable.

   -EdK

Ed Keith
e_...@yahoo.com

Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com