ben kuin wrote:

> > If yes it seems this has not been a big showstopper to Windows apps
>
> err what?? On what planet do you live? It must be a nice place :-)

I would say it hasn't been a big problem on Windows because people
are still using windows. Furthermore, how many of the programs that
Microsoft distrubutes with Windows 7 are written in C#/.NET and
how many are written in C++?

Furthermore, many of the problems suffered by Windows are not a
problem on Unix systems.

> COM components ( to encapsulate the abi )

They were always a mistake. COM never made it to Unix.

> DLL hell ( never heard of that? com registration)

This is a Microsoft specific problem. Unix systems have used versioned
shared libraries since at least the mid 1980s.

> STL ( taming the abi)

The STL should only be problem and compile time.

> CORBA ( to talk between incompatible libraries)

Another mistake. Never common on Unix.

> VC6++, VC7++ incompatibilities

I've only ever come across one problem as a result of this, a problem
with passing file descriptor across the application/DLL boundary when
the application and the DLL were compiled with different versions of
the compiler. Again, this is a problem with Microsoft's OS that I have
never come across on any of the Unix systems I have used.

> If you really want to torture a developer, these is the best toolset
> you get.

You have to be kidding me. I personally think the Microsoft development
tools are completely horrible.

> If you want to punish the user with crashing apps and
> beautiful error messages ( stuff like: "Error msxml.dll not registered
> by regsvr32" then go ahead.

How does that have anything to do with using a VM or not.

> .NET was already a success before the dotnet-sdk was downloadable.

Microsoft was your saviour because Microsoft caused all your problems
in the first place.

Microsoft keeps calling Unix a legacy platform, but Unix has evolved
over time and to people running modern versions of Unix, its Windows
that looks like a legacy platform.

Erik