XHTML5 is a fancy name for the way the HTML5 spec grudgingly allows the use of
XML-like syntax, allowing for XML Builders like current markaby to be
technically allowable as valid HTML. It's not 'real' in that they don't provide
validators for it and browsers aren't supposed to parse it as XML or support
any XML features.

The HTML spec suggests it be avoided if possible, and I agree, on the grounds
that XML-style syntax gives people the incorrect impression that a document
maybe valid XML. In most cases, that's not true. It might also give people the
impression that they could use XML features, which is also not true. XHTML is a
dead standard. Long live HTML with XML-style boolean attributes and self
closing tags permitted! And long live Nokogiri/Beautiful Soup - the easy and
friendly way to parse any sort of document, regardless if it pretends to be XML
or is just plain friendly compact HTML.

—
Jenna Fox