Hi Nokan

I'm a professional newbie (simply because I use and teach a wide range of stuff and only go deep when I have to :-)

As I'm sure you're aware, as an embedded lightweight database SQLite makes an easily-managed default setup (as in Camping... and Django, and even within OS X and, of course... RoR), but if you need a client- server database I'd say that's beyond the test server remit and would be a whole other setup/maintenance layer for David :-)

SQLite is fine for me simply because I don't need anything bigger, and I can include the db file in a git repo (don't know yet if that's easy with CouchDB - anyone?).

But Couch would be my choice for on/offline data sync, and I'd probably use Jenna's chill (https://github.com/Bluebie/chill) and also revisit Knut Hellan's article from 2009 (http://knuthellan.com/2009/03/08/camping-with-couchdb/ ).

DaveE

Hi,

In a previous thread I was declared as a newbie end user, now I'll behave
like that :)

If I'll use the hosting service, I'll want to be able to use mysql and not sqlite, and other experimental solutions. You can say that this is silly of me, but, as an end user, I have the right to be silly. BTW I have bad experience with sqlite. It can happen that the database becomes corrupted somehow, maybe because of not properly handled concurrent accesses, or a ctrl- c in a bad moment, I don't know. And mysql is faster too. As a silly end user I would prefer a separately existing permanency layer. This is not a problem for active record, so I really don't get it why not to use it. (It would be enough to have one database for all the users and let the databasename_tablename structured tablenames solve the rest. Actually the users don't need to know where is the data stored and how, just use the ActiceRecord API, but they
need to know that it's fast enough and the data is securely stored.)

I'm sorry, I know I was not really constructive...

   ...end users are always silly...