> As I'm sure you're aware, as an embedded lightweight database SQLite makes
> an easily-managed default setup (as in Camping... and Django, and even
> within OS X and, of course... RoR), but if you need a client-server
> database I'd say that's beyond the test server remit and would be a whole
> other setup/maintenance layer for David :-)

Right ! :) Of course if some of the camping people from the mailing list
need MySQL I will be happy to provide some accounts (with no guarantee or
support thou :P ) but the idea to upload on a run on the fly only works if
you can provide with the db file together with the app. If you have to
upload a dump into MySQL first you need a separate account, login etc.
seems like an extra complexity. I am not ruling this out completely but if
I could do without it ..it might save some time.

> SQLite is fine for me simply because I don't need anything bigger, and I
> can include the db file in a git repo (don't know yet if that's easy with
> CouchDB - anyone?).

Well CouchDB is just running over HTTP so it is fairly easy to handle from
my tests but I don't think you can work it it as Sqlite that is embedded.
Kirbybase works the same way with the plus that you can open the db file
and add entries, modify etc as you please and is entirely made on ruby.
With indexes it is pretty fast for me as it loads a lot of stuff in the
memory.

> But Couch would be my choice for on/offline data sync, and I'd probably
> use Jenna's chill
> (https://github.com/Bluebie/**chill<https://github.com/Bluebie/chill>)
> and also revisit Knut Hellan's article from 2009 (
> http://knuthellan.com/2009/**03/08/camping-with-couchdb/<http://knuthellan.com/2009/03/08/camping-with-couchdb/>
> ).

Thanks a lot for this Dave I did not know about chill but looks very
interesting and will try it today :)
Best Regards
David