I wonder if you were running SQLite on a linux server which stored your files
on a remotely linked drive? Some large hosting companies (mediatemple is a
great example) link in your files over NFS or other network filesystems, and
those can often be a little buggy with regard to file locking. It's no big
deal, until you have two servers trying to edit the sqlite db at the same time.
That can cause corruption, but there's not really anything the sqlite db guys
can do except say not to run it on network drives with buggy file locking. We
wouldn't have that problem on camping's hosting. SQLite is used for everything
from ruby webapps to storing the address book and notes on an iPod Touch. It's
really wide spread and robust. There are almost certainly more instances of
sqlite running in the world at any time than oracle, postgres, mysql, combined!
I'd bet the email client I'm using to write this is storing my emails in an
sqlite database. :)

—
Jenna