Hi David,

You might be interested in a project I'm working on do do deploys to
ec2 using capistrano.  Specifically, I give every instance an alias
(and one or more roles) within the framework, and store this mapping
in a yml file so that I can auto generate the right roles for
capistrano (nice and DRY :).  It makes it a lot nicer to work with ec2
if you can deal with names of your own choosing rather than the
instance-ids.

All the instances also get configured on a role basis (install
packages/gems, generate config files from erb templates), so it
doesn't matter how many instances you have, i.e. if you have a single
instance that belongs to all roles, that instance will be configured
for all roles, and if you then reorganize and split up your roles
amongst multiple instances, you shouldn't need to do much work because
those new instances would only be configured for the roles they belong
to.

The README for the project is at: http://rubber.rubyforge.org/svn/trunk/README
It should be trivial to demo it using the steps outlined therein - if
not, then I broke something, so please let me know :)

Matt