> I'd like to start a discussion about giving more exposure to specific
> capistrano plugins and ways how I could get involved.

​Great!​

> Here's a bit of the background which I think I share with a lot of
> capistrano users:
> I'd like to setup my rails app deployment using the standard stack of
> postgres + unicorn + nginx. While at it, I'd like to do it with minimum
> config and boilerplate. And god forbid - I also do not want to ssh to the
> server for *any of the tasks*.
> (premise here is that server if fully provisioned of course)

That's not too far off the mark!​
​​

Now, I'm doing a research on capistrano unicorn plugins. I'm a "dumb user"
> and I want a plugin to handle unicorn scripts and configs for me - pretty
> standard stuff.
> It turns out there is a bunch of plugins and their forks our there. It's
> totally messy, as you can see here:
> https://github.com/sosedoff/capistrano-unicorn/issues/82
> I'm thinking we really do not need all these plugins that all try to do
> one (simple?) thing.
>
> Questions / suggestions:
> - is it a good idea to give more highlight to specific plugins on the
> capistrano home page? Like for example here:
> http://capistranorb.com/documentation/frameworks/ruby-on-rails/

​Absolutely, it's written as a Jekyll site ​so that plugin authors can send
PRs to add themselves!

> - or even make a step further and ask the plugin owners to move the
> plugins to github.com/capistrano?

​We already invited the plugin authors we came across (mostly due to v3
upgrade related questions and problems) to host their plugins with us,
under the Capistrano name.​

> That way capistrano community is committed and focused on improving small
> number of plugins.

Also, newcommers to capistrano are clearly pointed to what they should use
> and they do not have to waste time on investigation and trying out various
> plugins (like I did)
> ​.

That's a problem best solved by a plugin directory, or example videos or
tutorials showing people how to get started with common stack
http://roots.io/screencasts/ is a great example of that.

> Involvement:
> If the above suggestions are aligned with capistrano goals I would like to
> offer time to make this happen. Here are the tasks I'd like to do:
> - do the work on investigating the best (working) capistrano plugins for
> unicorn, nginx and postgres
> - submit pull requests (or just communicate to maintainers) so that chosen
> plugins are highlighted on this page:
> https://github.com/sosedoff/capistrano-unicorn/issues/82

​Absolutely, please feel free to add anything you think it useful to the
documentation site, we're not precious about some arbitrary measure of
purity, or worthiness for improvements, all improvements are gladly
received.​ Perversely as the authors, we're the worst people to write
beginner documentation!

> Let me know how you like the idea!

​I do, it should be noted, that we'll be doing more around this area once
we are launched with Harrow.io​, as common plugins/integrations will be
important, and Harrow should include autodiscovery for common things.