On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Dimuthu Leelarathne <dimut...@wso2.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Pradeep Fernando <prad...@wso2.com>wrote:
>
>> +1 agreed with danushka. Adding default configuration is not the
>> solution for what dimuthu has encountered. In this case dimuthu is
>> responsible for making the stratos distribution. Anybody working on
>> wso2 product distribution should know what should be done in order to
>> get the product running. No excuses.
>

> There is something very wrong here. Either technology or the process. Let
> me ask the simple question. How did Qpid config files get copied to all
> products and not services? How come services got second hand treatment?
> AFAIK Qpid config files were added products by someone from Qpid team.

Well, I copied all Qpid config files to products with the build I had. I was
in trouble having a proper build on all products. So I copied to esb and bam
products. And regarding services, I could not up services even after adding
Qpid config files. So I avoided committing changes. And I gave patches for
services in a discussion thread regarding this.

And I agree, copying to all products and services take so time, And I could
not apply one patch for all products since all products had changes such as,
bin.xml resides in different folder paths, hard coded product name and
version, some uses pom.version and some build.version.

Thank you.

> So lets speculate,
>
> 1) Should someone from Stratos team do it?
> 2) Should the feature be developed as self contained?
> 3) Should technology be developed to handle this situation? Automatic
> copying of config files?
> 3) Should the RM of each product check the service? At minimum check
> whether it starts?
>
> Copying something to 13 products is not an easy task if you want to build
> them all check whether anything breaks (speaking by experience because I
> have done it). If someone told me adding Qpid config files was my
> responsibility I would create time to do it. I fixed it for manager. I
> wasn't even aware of it until each server started hanging - one after other.
>

>> If we rely on default configs, then wso2 products will go in to
>> production with default configs in the future. (by mistake)
>>

> -1. What about the config files we already ship? Don't they have default
> configs?
>
> thanks,
> dimuthu
>

> But having a default config will serve a different scenario. If a user
>> deletes the qpid config files after installing the features, and we
>> still want the server to be started then we should have default
>> configs.
>>
>> --Pradeep

Manjula Rathnayaka
Software Engineer