I've given this the name because this is standard Java terminology. What we
are implementing is an extension of java.net.Authenticator. Giving this some
other name would confuse somebody. Also having said that, Authenticator in
the java world is something that provides credentials for authentication.
But the CarbonAuthenticator IIRC is not doing quite that, making the latter
inconsistent. But, since we have been having it for a while, I'm not sure
what's the correct choice here. Anyway, giving this some other name does not
sound the correct thing to do.

According to my understanding, with regard to proxy configuration in Axis2,
that's only if the server is fronted by a proxy while lies between client
and server (ex:- Apache2 mod_proxy). This fix is to allow the server to
access resources that lie behind multiple proxies (ex:- to access WSDL
behind URL 1 you need proxy settings 1, and to access WSDL behind URL 2 you
need proxy settings 2). So, what you have in Axis2 is client-oriented (i.e.
for fixing WSDL URLs appropriately and all), and what we have introduced in
here is server-oriented.

Thanks,
Senaka.