Hi Prabath,

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Prabath Siriwardena <prab...@wso2.com>wrote:

> Hi Senaka,
>
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:47 AM, Senaka Fernando <sen...@wso2.com> wrote:
> > I've given this the name because this is standard Java terminology. What
> we
> > are implementing is an extension of java.net.Authenticator. Giving this
> some
> > other name would confuse somebody. Also having said that, Authenticator
> in
> > the java world is something that provides credentials for authentication.
> > But the CarbonAuthenticator IIRC is not doing quite that, making the
> latter
> > inconsistent. But, since we have been having it for a while, I'm not sure
> > what's the correct choice here. Anyway, giving this some other name does
> not
> > sound the correct thing to do.
>
> Even carbon authenticators take different type of credentials... and
> this seems more like a proxy proxy configuration..
>
> This is the configuration [1] already used for axis2.
>
> <parameter name="PROXY"
>    proxy_host="proxy_host_name"
>    proxy_port="proxy_host_port"
>    locked="true>userName:domain:passWord</parameter>
>

> > According to my understanding, with regard to proxy configuration in
> Axis2,
> > that's only if the server is fronted by a proxy while lies between client
> > and server (ex:- Apache2 mod_proxy). This fix is to allow the server to
> > access resources that lie behind multiple proxies (ex:- to access WSDL
> > behind URL 1 you need proxy settings 1, and to access WSDL behind URL 2
> you
> > need proxy settings 2). So, what you have in Axis2 is client-oriented
> (i.e.
> > for fixing WSDL URLs appropriately and all), and what we have introduced
> in
> > here is server-oriented.
>
> IIUC in your scenario Carbon server is trying to access a resource
> behind a proxy and you need to authenticate to the proxy.. Shouldn't
> this the same at the axis2 client end.. but this doesn't have multiple
> proxy support as you mentioned. In either case shouldn't this
> something to be in axis2.xml..? [not in carbon.xml]

This is not a transport-level thing that applies only to webservices. Axis2
is a webservices engine and this goes beyond that. For example, new
URL("foo") call inside Java code, or accessing some resource through a web
application is covered by this implementation. Also, this is not only for a
proxy, but you can use it to access resources stored on a webserver that
requires Basic, Digest, NTLM or SPNEGO authentication. If we introduce this
into Axis2, it would be doing something additional (i.e. beyond its scope).
What Axis2 has right now is sufficient for its use-cases, and this is
something beyond that.

Thanks,
Senaka.

> Thanks & regards,
> -Prabath
>
> [1]: http://wso2.org/library/161

*Senaka Fernando*
Product Manager - WSO2 Governance Registry;
Associate Technical Lead; WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com*
Member; Apache Software Foundation; http://apache.org

E-mail: senaka AT wso2.com
**P: +1 408 754 7388; ext: 51736*; *M: +94 77 322 1818
Linked-In: http://linkedin.com/in/senakafernando

*Lean . Enterprise . Middleware