On 8/7/2013 11:59 AM, Scott Battaglia wrote:
You do realize you will have to configure and tune any solution :-)

Well, yah :).

Before comparing solutions, I would recommend defining your requirements
and your tolerance for failure (if you have not).  For example, Is it
acceptable that if a node (that has > 99.9% uptime) goes down, a user
must re-authenticate?  Is that extra .1 worth whatever the cost? I can't
answer that for you.

I can't answer that for *myself* yet, as I lack sufficient information to do so. Both ehcache and memcached are open source with no direct cost, so the cost will be any additional CPU or bandwidth requirements for one versus the other, or any additional time requirements for implementation.

At this point, I am prototyping ehcache, as I don't think the potentially greater bandwidth will be an issue for us. If the complexity, difficulty, or reliability of ehcache becomes an issue, then I'll consider falling back to memcached as an alternative.

Thanks…

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  hen...@csupomona.edu