On 03/18/2014 04:10 PM, Paul B. Henson wrote:

There is SINGLE sign on (SSO) and SAME sign on. The second is same sign on.
Wikipedia disagrees with you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_sign-on

"Single sign-on (SSO) is a property of access control of multiple related, but
independent software systems. With this property a user logs in once and gains access to
all systems without being prompted to log in again at each of them."

That's not necessarily disagreeing with me. That's describing true SSO, because user's aren't prompted.

As does the open group, although their relevance nowadays might be questionable:

http://www.opengroup.org/security/sso/

"Single sign-on (SSO) is mechanism whereby a single action of user authentication
and authorization can permit a user to access all computers and systems where he has
access permission, without the need to enter multiple passwords."

That too sounds like true single sign-on.

I'd never heard of "Same Sign-On" before, from the few Google hits that result from
searching for it it appears to be some terminology Microsoft made up. They seem to like co-opting
acronyms, I remember when we were running DCE/DFS and they introduced their "Dfs"
product...

It is a Microsoft term, but there needs to be a term for this. So I use theirs, as it makes the most sense to me. If you use the same credentials to login to two completely different places (and the same credentials are by design), I call that same sign on. I steadfastly refuse to use the SSO acronym or single sign on term for any system that asks for credentials again.

I deal with another entity that insists on using the term and acronym, stating that the same AD object is in use, so it is single sign on. This of course ignores that one system uses the samAccountName, another uses the email attribute, and another uses the UPN with required domain suffix.