On Wed, 9 May 2007, A. Pagaltzis wrote:

Delegation means that the caller communicates only with the
object that delegates and doesn’t know which object does the
actual work. That’s not what’s happening in your example.

Something like this would be delegation:

   sub trail_length {
       my $self = shift;
       $self->breadcrumbs->trail_length;
   }

Here the caller talks only to VegGuide::Response and doesn’t even
know that there’s a VegGuide::Breadcrumbs object behind the scene.

Doh, good point.

I think there's a name for tha pattern I'm using, but I can't remember it or find a good reference online.

Regardless, the pattern I'm using is often a good alternative to _just_ subclassing.

-dave