On Apr 6, 2008, at 3:36 AM, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
little bit.  I was disappointed in the POE engine and came to the
conclusion that POE, while tons of fun to use, is not the right

Just when POE went 1.0! Not fair!!

POE rocks, but a single process just doesn't work for Catalyst, because the entire time your application code is running, the process is blocked. Multiple processes is really the only way to go for a web server. It may be possible to do some crazy things with something like Coro but at a severe cost to performance.

It's suitable for use as a fast development server with the same -r
restart support as the HTTP and POE engines, and should also be
suitable as a production-quality server (although it *is* still
version 0.01 :)

Sounds that with the XS modules it really should be as fast as the mod_perl or
fastcgi servers ?

I've been intending to benchmark the various engines and haven't gotten around to it yet. If anyone wants to help out in that regard it would be appreciated. :) I was able to get up to around 400 requests/second out of Prefork on my older Macbook Pro.