hkcl...@gmail.com wrote:
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Tomas Doran <bobtf...@bobtfish.net> wrote:
On 29 May 2009, at 01:49, hkcl...@gmail.com wrote:
For example, a search for "Catalyst Tutorial" on search.cpan.org shows
a bunch of the 5.7014 stuff near the top... and that's over 7 months
(and 9 releases) old.  Is there a way to "kill off" older releases
like that (or at least push them down in the search results)?
The only way to do this is to delete the dist in question.

I asked rjbs to do so, and it's now scheduled for deletion. It'll be deleted
in 48 hours, and search.cpan should catch up at whatever it's usual pace is,
later ;)

Cheers
t0m

<snip />

Does anyone know how the CPAN search algorithm works in terms of what
it ranks first (or how we might be able to find out)?

In the olden days most _good_ search engines looked for the keywords meta tag, checked if the words were in the document, checked for when the document as last modified, and kept some statistics on how often a site was accessed.

Now days, it seems, the search engines are (trying to) indexing the whole document/site. Google appears to be looking at last accesses and possibly stay times for its ranking. (Any Google engineers hanging out around here?)

The cheap trick would be to have everyone search for the specific sites /documents using Google then camp out at them for a bit. The low hanging fruit method would to be insure there are <meta name="keywords" ... /> tags that match up with the words in first (few) paragraph(s).

There is also the "CISCO Catalyst" verses the "Catalyst Framework" issue. When I search using Google this isn't a problem. Google hinted all the right things but then I've done a bit of browsing for Catalyst Framework related links.

\\||/
Rod
--
I look at it this way: if search.cpan.org and Google send people off
in the wrong direction and/or frustrate them, then we have probably

Regards,
Kennedy