Well countered, John,

Deb

From: bounce-127447541-83565...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-127447541-83565...@list.cornell.edu> On Behalf Of Karen
Sent: Saturday, June 3, 2023 8:19 PM
To: Carl Steckler <simmshil...@gmail.com>; CAYUGABIRDS-L
<cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>; John Confer <confergoldw...@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Conservation vs Ecology

On Saturday, June 3, 2023 at 05:05:55 PM EDT, Carl Steckler
<simmshil...@gmail.com<mailto:simmshil...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Well, let me state right out front that I am about to ignite a fire storm.

Are we conservationists or are we ecologists? Hope to instruct things like
green energy and the impact on wildlife.
This is a false dichotomy based on an incorrect definition. I taught ecology. I
have had over 70 peer-reviewed publications in professional journals. I have
had major NSF research grants. I am an ecologist. I know what ecology is. This
is not a correct definition of ecology. Ecology is a science. Ecology tries to
describe things. Ecology tries to develop testable predictions: if A occurs
then B will follow. Ecology is an objective scientific study. Ecologists often
have strong, personal feelings/beliefs about conservation. I have had
conservation grants, too. They are quite different. If you do not know the
difference between them you do not have the knowledge background to criticize
them.

For the ecologists among you, you place a high value on green, renewable energy,
But at the same time you are ignoring the fact that green energy is detrimental
to wildlife and plant life
No. I am also a conservationist. I am concerned about balancing competing needs
for the natural habitat that supports wildlife.

Wind, turbines, kill hundreds of birds and bats every year. Both of these
activities are illegal but the fact that it is green energy seems to overlook
the fact that we’re destroying what we seek to keep.
No. Things are illegal when they violate a relevant law. The permitting process
for almost everyting, but certainly for installation of solar panel farms goes
through a permitting proceess and is approved by law. It is not illegal.

More and more grassland is disappearing under the covering of silicon, solar
panels not only are the wildlife dispossessed, but so too is the flora.
Wildlife can relocate, although it may not be to a suitable habitat, but the
plants cannot relocate and often end up dying, because the sun that gives them
nourishment is now blocked by solar panels
The question isn't if solar farms reduce wildlife. The question is what source
of energy is less deterimental.

Unfortunately, the argument about green energy global warming has become more
political than environmental
The science of green energy global warming climate change whatever you want to
call it is flawed
Some like to say that global warming climate change is caused by humans. Well,
I’ve seen many studies that support that and many studies that disprove that.
what I haven’t seen yet is a good scientific reason why the earth goes into an
Ice Age and why the earth comes out of an Ice Age
And yet again, there are many theories, but they are just that theories
Theories are the highest level of certainty that science provides. But, I grant
that you are intending to use "theory" with a meaning that is not the use
employed in a science discussion. The lack of understanding about this
distinction weighs on the merit of your arguements.

Without knowing the causes of an ice age or the causes of an ice age ending, we
are missing a big chunk of cause-and-effect
The ice-age lasted over millions of years for reasons that are irrelevant to
our current. The causes for cooling/warming associated with the major advances
and retreats of glacies over a totally different geological time scale are
virtually irrelevant to the causes for our present rate of warming, which has
largely occurred in around 100 years. The physical process for our current
warming is similar to the familiar event of a car warming in the sun. Visible
radiation comes in, strikes a surface and warms it up. The heat is emitted but
most of it cannot get through the glass. We accept this because as infants or
children we know about this. The physics of global climate change is virtually
the same. For our earth, the visible radiation passes through the atmosphere.
It strikes the earth's surface, and is reemitted as heat. The heat is absorbed
or retained in the atmosphere by CO2 or methane, The ability of gasses to
retain heat is easily and accurately measured. We know why the earth is warming
now. The causes of ice age cooling and warming over hundreds of thousands of
years is almost totally irrelevant to the causes of our current warming within
a century. Anthropogenic global climate change was predicted by physicists a
century ago due to well-measured physical properties of gasses and due to the
emission of greenhouse gasses by industrilization. The physics of current
warming is known and it is caused by the so-called greenhouse gasses.

Does anyone disagree that when an ice age ends it gets warmer? Conversely, when
an ice age starts, it gets colder and it has been doing that for a lot longer
time than humans have been on this earth.

So think about it do we want to be climate activist or do we want to be
conservationist preserving what we have on this planet preserving the ecosystem
that the animals and plants of this planet so desperately need

I am not arguing, one way or another I have my beliefs, and you probably have
yours. My purpose is to take a good look at the differences between
conservation and ecology.

As an ecologist and as a conservationist, both as a paid, funded professional,
and as a personal dedication, it is upsetting to read a false dichotomy that
sets the two against each other, and which is based on an uninformed
description of global climate change. Obtaining the level of public support for
measures that may reduce or restreain the rate of global climate change due to
greenhouse gasses require a public concensus that is thwarted by the discussion
presented by Carl, and that deeply bothers me.

John Confer

Carl Steckler
Subscribe, Configuration and
The Mail