Vik,

Thanks for the explanation, that helps alot:-)

Sara

Vik Malhi <vma...@ipexpert.com> wrote:

The Alias command just creates another dial-peer. You can see the effect of
the alias command by "show call-manager-fallback dial-peer"

Take a look at this example:

Call-manager-fallback
max-dn 4 preference 2
alias 1 2000 to 2002

In this example extension 2000 is not being used and is forwarded to 2002.
Simple enough. If you did use dialplan pattern then this would be used:

Call-manager-fallback
max-dn 4 preference 2
alias 1 6175212000 to 2002

Now- lets just say that all phones should be fwded to voicemail ("1600")
except 2002 which should be forward to a cell phone ("911"- yes I know!).

Call-manager-fallback
max-dn 4 preference 2
call-forward busy 1600
call-forward noan 1600 timeout 12
alias 1 2002 to 2002 preference 1 cfw 911 timeout 12

Now- the two "call-forward" statements are to be used globally for all
phones in SRST mode. For extn "2002" you will see two dial-peers using the
"show call-manager-fallback dial-peer" command:

Dial-peer voice 20002 pots
destination-pattern 2002
port 50/0/2
call-forward busy 1600
call-forward noan 1600 timeout 12
preference 2 ! From preference after "max-dn"

The dial-peer above is created when the phone registers and cannot be
removed (unless extn 2002 is not registered to srst). The dial-peer is NOT
going to be used since the dial-peer created by the alias command is a lower
preference...

This is the dial-peer from the alias command:

Dial-peer voice 200XX pots
destination-pattern 2002
port 50/0/2
call-forward busy 911 ! From CFW after alias
call-forward noan 911 timeout 12 ! From CFW after alias
preference 1 ! From preference after "alias"

So you see that "preference" after max-dn enables the alias to be active.

Think of the alias command as being "destination-pattern" to "port".

If you wanted to forward an unegistered phone (extn "2000") to a PSTN number
("911") without ringing an internal phone then the alias command will not
achieve that since you HAVE to point an alias to a registered phone. The
answer to this question is simply add a dial-peer for the unregistered
phone-

Dial-peer voice 2000 pots
destination-pattern 2000
port 0/0/0:23
prefix 911

Hopefully this clears up the alias command!

--
Vik Malhi ­ CCIE #13890, CCSI #31584
Senior Technical Instructor - IPexpert, Inc.

Telephone: +1.810.326.1444
Fax: +1.810.454.0130
Mailto: vma...@ipexpert.com

Join our free online support and peer group communities:
http://www.IPexpert.com/communities
IPexpert - The Global Leader in Self-Study, Classroom-Based, Video-On-Demand
and Audio Certification Training Tools for the Cisco CCIE R&S Lab, CCIE
Security Lab, CCIE Service Provider Lab , CCIE Voice Lab and CCIE Storage
Lab Certifications.

http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/toolbar/