ESXi is loaded via a keyboard and mouse in this situation, after that is
complete, everything else has to be completed remotely.  You first go to a
web page, get the VM client, install client and begin installing your
Virtual Machines (VM's) that is it.  You might want to play with shared
resources if your system is a little low on memory but otherwise you should
be fine.

As far as performance, I find that by using some old SATA disk I had laying
around and spreading the servers out over several disk, that I can not
really even tell I am on a VM, it seems as responsive as a real server for
the most part, sometimes if I am booting another system that is on the same
HDD that will slow things down so I try to avoid that but otherwise it works
great.  Much better than multiple machines in a VMware server or workstation
running in windows or OS X.  The only disadvantage is there is not an OS X
client but if your doing your IE study in OS X you have to have a windows
machine to run some things anyway.