Well, I can't tell you why you got 0 points. When I provision CUPS, I do the
following:

CUCM
Check to ensure Application Server exists (it should, but check)
Add SIP Security Profile for CUPS, with appropriate options
Add SIP trunk for CUPS
License capabilities for end users
Associate end users to DNs (including all shared lines)
Associate devices to end users
Add end users to End Users and Standard CTI user groups
If doing IPPM
Add service URL
associate with phone(s)
Add IPPM user in CUCM
Add CUPC if required
CUPS
Update Cluster Topology so CUPS node uses IP address and not name
Update service parameters (UC Proxy, domain setting)
Check service parameters (look for anything that isn't default)
Check CUCM Publisher status (ensure all green)
Add CUCM gateway (technically, not required since we are using Publish mode but
I did it anyway)
Add ACLs for incoming (ALL,ALL)
Activate/Start services
IPPM - customize service account user ID and password to match CUCM
CTI - associate users
General settings: TFTP servers (make sure they match what you are using for
phones)
VM Profile
VM Server - CUC
Mailstore is NOT necessary with this version and CUC
VM Pilot number
Unity Connection: Make sure you mod the CoS to allow UPC to do its thing
Log into CUPS as user and add contacts manually

When testing:
Ensure contact list is built correctly
Ensure you have presence status updates for onhook/offhook events
Ensure you receive presence status changes when client toggles status
If soft phone, place and receive calls
If RPC, place and receive calls
If VM, then leave a message, ensure notification is received, playback the
message (though you won't have audio)
IM between clients, both ways
If using IPPM, log in, test, and remain logged in
If CUPC, log in, test, and remain logged in
If you have a requirement to send messages then do so and leave the messages
on-screen (all clients)
If lab guide gives you screen shots, pay attention to every little detail of
the screen shot and make sure your screen looks identical

I never had issues getting points on CUPS and I always followed the same
procedure. I have spoken to several people who have said that they configured
everything, everything worked, but they still got 0 points. I trust that they
are right, everything was configured and working. So, that leave two things.
One, if they give you a screen shot of what they want, check everything and
make sure you mimic the screenshot. Two, pay attention to any clues as to how
the clients should be left when you are done with the exam. For instance,
shutting down the clients when not told to do so is probably a bad idea. If
they say send a broadcast then I would do so and leave it on the screen. Things
like that.

HTH.

-Bill

--