Bill,

You can read about the command here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/voice/command/reference/vrht_d1_ps5207_TSD_Products_Command_Reference_Chapter.html#wp1459139

The important bit is:
When the dial-peer outbound status-check pots command is configured, if the
voice-port configured under an outbound POTS dial-peer is down, that dial-peer
is excluded while matching the corresponding destination-pattern. Therefore, if
there are no other matching outbound POTS dial-peers for the specified
destination-pattern, the gateway will disconnect the call with a cause code of
1 (Unallocated/unassigned number),

So, when you have this command enabled (default) AND you have a single PRI AND
that PRI is down, call set up request from UCM to the VG will result in a
response of unallocated/unassigned. Why? Because we have told the router to
monitor the status of the PRI and "intelligently" detect when it is down. When
it is down, the dial-peer is no longer evaluated during call setup.

By turning this off, we are basically telling the VG to go ahead and try to use
the busted PRI. Which then results in a different kind of setup error that will
let the CUCM know it should continue hunting through its RG/RL configuration.

Lots of people leverage the service parameter I mentioned below to route around
PRIs that are off line. That is probably fine for the purposes of the IE lab. I
prefer to disable status checking at the GW level.

-Bill

--
William Bell, CCIE #38914
blog: http://ucguerrilla.com