My two cents and a summary:

1. omitting the atoms on a clearly indicated LYS residue is a choice. It creates a striking phenotype and does not mislead. It might however cause trouble in 'user' analysis software that will not like LYS without its atoms. Plus, we know for sure that these atoms are there, so we omit them ...
When an end-user sees missing atoms, he/she might at least smell a rat. I have met non-xtallo scientists who were misled because they were unaware of B's and occu, and took the coordinates at their face value! So, this seems to be an approach that is least likely to mislead the user.

2. modeling the lys in a common rotamer is also a legitimate choice, since B's will inflate. But, indeed thats not obvious when you look at the structure. Also, most unfortunately most analysis software and users will ignore B's.
I have such residues is my previous structures! But I am also not sure how many non-xtallo end-users analyze atomic coordinates in the context of B's. A good proportion of non-xtallo folks perhaps download the coordinates and stare at it in a display program. If they see what they want, I am not sure most of the time they open up the PDB file and then figure out what the different columns mean.

3. putting occupancy to 0.0 does not look like a good choice to me. the atoms still show on display and no user or software uses occupancies any more than B factors, so to me it combines all the trouble together. on top, some refinement programs when occ is 0, they might switch off geometric restraints including VdW repulsion and then its a real mess.

I agree. This does not seem to be a good approach to me since I have met non-xtallo end-users one time that were misled by ~ 20 residues in a structure with occu=0. They downloaded the structure with no knowledge of the world of B's and occupancies. They made a model and hypothesis for potential biological interactions based those 20 residues with ZERO occupancies in their conference poster, the reported atomic coordinates of which (in the PDB file) being pure fantasy in that particular structure (since we pursued work on the same complex).

Why not be cautious and assume that the non-xtallo end user will NOT open up the PDB file and look at B's, occupancies and then try to use that to interpret the structure? If they do, then that's a bonus. If they don't, we at least make certain we minimize the likelihood for misinterpretation. This would be a good courtesy to extend to the biological community.

Raji

--
Raji Edayathumangalam
Postdoctoral Fellow