Yes, agree overall.
What I plan to implement in phenix.refine and then play with at some point is that loop I wrote before:

for cycle in cycles (until convergence):
- do real space refinement (minimize T = Exray*weight +Egeom w.r.t. model params); - do reciprocal space refinement (minimize T = SUM(rho_obs - rho_calc)^2*weight +Egeom w.r.t. model params) (- do other things, like we do now: model bulk and ordered solvent, etc...)

Based on the literature review, the overall feeling is that this should work better than either one separately: real or reciprocal space refinement.

Pavel.