Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.  I'd like to provide a few more
details since I'm also interested in the practical ramifications of the
theoretical arguments presented thus far.

1. density map at 3.2 A resolution was used to refine a model that had
already been built and refined at 2.0 A.
2. bound small molecule ligand was fit into the difference density using RSR
within Coot (with tight geometric restraints as generated by ProDRG).
3. ligand was not refined any further using standard reciprocal space
methods.
4. to my eyes, the ligand fit didn't look very good (even factoring in the
resolution of the maps).
5. I would have started with RSR in Coot and then followed with something
like Refmac, but was told the results wouldn't be any different.
6. debate ensues, starting with this quote I pulled from one of Michael
Chapman's papers in *Acta Cryst.* (1999). D*55*, 464-468:

"...real-space methods have been largely superseded by reciprocal-space
methods owing to the implicit dependence of real-space methods upon the
phases used to calculate the electron-density map, which are often much less
accurate than the diffraction amplitudes."

Thanks again for the responses -- this "gray-haired" crystallographer has
enjoyed the commentary on a subject that sometimes gets taken for granted.

Regards,
Mike