Dear CCP4 experts,

Recently, I was debating a colleague on the pros/cons of refinement done in
reciprocal space compared to refinement in real space.

I always thought reciprocal space refinement was preferable since measured
amplitudes will be more accurate than calculated phases (unless good
experimental phases are available).  My colleague argued that with sigmaA
and maximum-likelihood methods, calculated phases are much "better" than
they were in the past and the two refinement techniques are equivalent in
terms of robustness.  He said the reason most software hasn't switched
entirely to real-space refinement is due to computational issues.

Please help enlighten me.  All comments/diatribes welcome.

Thanks,
Mike