Hello all,

I started to write a response to this thread yesterday. I thought the title was
great even the content of Eleanor's email was very helpful. What I didn't like
was the indictment in the next to last paragraph. This has been followed up
with the word fabrication by others. No one knows definitively if this was
fabricated. You have your suspicions, but you don't "know." Fabrication
suggests malicious wrong-doing. I actually don't think this was the case. I'm
probably a bit biased because the work comes from an office down the hall from
my own. I'd like to think that if the structure is wrong that it could be
chalked up to inexperience rather than malice. To me, this scenario of
inexperience seems like one that could become more and more prevalent as our
field opens up to more and more scientists doing structural work who are not
dedicated crystallographers.

Having said that, I think Eleanor started an extremely useful thread as a way
of avoiding the pitfalls of crystallography whether you are a novice or an
expert. There's no question that this board is the best way to advance one's
knowledge of crystallography. I actually gave a homework assignment that was
simply to sign up for the ccp4bb.

In reference to the previously mentioned work, I'd also like to hear discussion
concurring or not the response letter some of which seems plausible to me.

I hope I don't ruffle anyones feathers by my email, but I just thought that it
should be said.

Cheers-
Todd