From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Mischa Machius
Sent: 17 August 2007 15:07
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Depositing Raw Data

Since there are several sub-plots in that mammoth thread, I thought
branching out would be a good idea.

I think working out the technicalities of how to publicly archive raw
data is fairly simple compared to the bigger picture.

1. Indeed, all the required meta-data will need to be captured just like
for refined coordinates. This will be an additional burden for the
depositor, but it's clearly necessary, and I do consider it trivial.
Trivial, as in the sense of "straightforward", i.e., there is no
fundamental problem blocking progress. As mentioned, current data
processing software captures most of the pertinent information already,
although that could be improved. I am sure that the beamlines,
diffraction-system manufacturers and authors of data- processing
software can be convinced to cooperate appropriately, if the community
needs these features.

2. More tricky is the issue of a unified format for the images, which
would be very helpful. There have been attempts at creating unified
image formats, but - to my knowledge - they haven't gotten anywhere.
However, I am also convinced that such formats can be designed, and that
detector manufacturers will have no problems implementing them,
considering that their detectors may not be purchased if they don't
comply with requirements defined by the community.

3. The hardware required to store all those data, even in a highly
redundant way, is clearly trivial.

4. The biggest problem I can see in the short run is the burden on the
databank when thousands of investigators start transferring gigabytes of
images, all at the same time.

5. I think the NSA might go bonkers over that traffic, although it
certainly has enough storage space. Imagine, they let their decoders go
wild on all those images. They might actually find interesting things in
them...

So, what's the hold-up?

Best - MM

On Aug 17, 2007, at 3:23 AM, Winter, G (Graeme) wrote:

> Storing all the images *is* expensive but it can be done - the JCSG do

> this and make available a good chunk of their raw diffraction data.
> The
> cost is, however, in preparing this to make the data useful for the
> person who downloads it.
>
> If we are going to store and publish the raw experimental measurements

> (e.g. the images) which I think would be spectacular, we will also
> need to define a minimum amount of metadata which should be supplied
> with this to allow a reasonable chance of reproduction of the results.

> This is clearly not trivial, but there is probably enough information
> in the harvest and log files from e.g. CCP4, HKL2000, Phenix to allow
> this.
>
> The real problem will be in getting people to dig out that tape / dvd
> with the images on, prepare the required metadata and "deposit" this
> information somewhere. Actually storing it is a smaller challenge,
> though this is a long way from being trivial.
>
> On an aside - firewire disks are indeed a very cheap way of storing
> the data. There is a good reason why they are much cheaper than the
> equivalent RAID array. They fail. Ever lost 500GB of data in one go?
> Ouch. ;o)
>
> Just MHO.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Graeme

--------
Mischa Machius, PhD
Associate Professor
UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.; ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816; U.S.A.
Tel: +1 214 645 6381
Fax: +1 214 645 6353