A few thoughts following on Richard Baxter and George Sheldrick . . .

Re: gaps in the lattice – see the tyr-tRNA synthase structures (1tya for
example).  Fersht has written a whole book full of insights from these
structures.

Re: Phaser Z scores.  For some MR work with two xtal forms of a structure, I
got Z scores of 4.0 and 4.3 for the rotation and translation searches in one
form, and 8.7 and 3.5 for the other, using a model with 18% sequence identity.
So you don't need great Z scores for the solution to be right.  The map
calculated with MR phases had a correlation coefficient of 0.22 with the final
model.

Re: confusing columns in an mtz file.  I had the same thought.  If the column
types were different for experimental versus calculated F's, and refmac only
allowed you to refine against an experimental F, could this kind of trouble be
avoided?  Of course you'd want an option to override the default, for people
doing weird things.  Dunno about cns or phenix, but didn't we recently see
messages about how hard it was to work with cns reflection files, leading to a
new conversion program from Kevin?  It seems possible to get the wrong column
there as well.

Re: images.  Be careful what you sign - the user agreements with synchrotron
facilities in the USA may state that the data are public, and not private (as
the funding is from the public).

Pete