Due to these recent, highly publicized irregularities and ample (snide) remarks I hear about them from non-crystallographers, I am wondering if the trust in macromolecular crystallography is beginning to erode. It is often very difficult even for experts to distinguish fake or wishful thinking from reality. Non-crystallographers will have no chance at all and will consequently not rely on our results as much as we are convinced they could and should. If that is indeed the case, something needs to be done, and rather sooner than later. Best - MM

Mischa Machius, PhD
Associate Professor
UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.; ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816; U.S.A.
Tel: +1 214 645 6381
Fax: +1 214 645 6353