Dear Gerard et al:

I'm actually one of those whom has struggled unsuccessfully to install Sharp. I can't even remember why, and I am certain it was entirely my fault, but this did get me wondering...

mlphare and MIR/MAD phasing seems to me the weak point in the ccp4 distribution. (I've often switched over to CNS to calculate phases and solvent-flatten them.)

Is there any chance your team might be inspired, persuaded or bribed to create a drop-in replacement for mlphare, maybe a "sharp light" for boneheads like me? Something that uses the same I/O and interface as ccp4?

Like me, James might have what Edward Abbey (one of the very few decent American writers since Mark Twain) once referred to as a "tendency to over-exaggerate" in his rhetorical flourishes. I hope mine are viewed charitably and are designed for entertainment purposes only.

All the best.

Bill