Hi,

In Ubuntu the use of Nvidia drivers is very slick, or should be.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

Go to the System menu, then:
System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers

A window opens up which then searches for proprietary drivers, and propose
that you use "Nvidia accelerated driver 173", or some such version. Click
the activate button, and restart X.

Behind the scenes, this installs the "linux-restricted-modules" package,
which will update your Nvidia module every time you upgrade your linux
kernel, which is tiresome otherwise.

There is no need for this "Envy" thing in Ubuntu.

For stereo, you will need lines in /etc/X11/xorg.conf like:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Option          "AllowDFPStereo" "on"
        Option          "Stereo"        "3"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        Screen 0