From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of
Bernhard Rupp
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 3:46 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] images

> expressing, purifying and crystalizing the protein

They are also useful. The NIH PSI initiative for example is trying as
a part of their Protein Structure Knowledgebase to establish a material
repository.
How well this will be generally accepted is another question, and the
storage and retrieval
problem is even more formidable than the comparatively simple storage of
images.

http://kb.psi-structuralgenomics.org/KB/index1.jsp?pageshow=37

The time for such material and data repositories certainly has come. But
even
simple tasks such as analyzing and data-mining all crystallization data from

all centers are still not readily possible. Others and myself pointed this
out
over the years in various publications - for example emphasizing consistent
metrics
etc etc, but not much has changed. It is an enormous loss of opportunity for

information gain, just as neglecting diffraction images. The issue of
standardization
is in most situations a very difficult one. Just see the multitude of
opinions on the ccp4bb.....

BR