Jacob,
Just for the fun, and for historical exactness...
I would rather invoke Laplace for such an argumentation, whereas Poincaré should better be invoked for a very strong warning against it. Therefore, ignoring the warning and following Laplace, we could even readily extend your suggestion from back-calculating the images to solving the corresponding structures (and thus also writing the corresponding papers). And write "The End" (as nauseam, of course ::))

Philippe Dumas

Jacob Keller a écrit :
Perhaps we could use Poincare's argument(?), that knowing one cross section of the universe in all of its detail would allow forward and back-calculation of all previous states. Then the universe would be its own lab notebook/ archive, and we would not need to bother with all of these technicalities in the first place. The images, then, could be back-calculated from the current (or any) configuration of all the universe's atoms, and then we could work better on improving our crystallography software (and ferreting out fraud) from those...

JPK

Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University
Medical Scientist Training Program
Dallos Laboratory
F. Searle 1-240
2240 Campus Drive
Evanston IL 60208
lab: 847.491.2438
cel: 773.608.9185
email: j-kell...@northwestern.edu

begin:vcard
fn:Philippe Dumas
n:Dumas;Philippe
org:CNRS;Biophysique et Biologie Structurale
adr;quoted-printable:15 rue Ren=C3=A9 Descartes;;IBMC;Strasbourg;;67084;France
email;internet:p.du...@ibmc.u-strasbg.fr
title:Directeur de Recherche
tel;work:+33 (0)388 41 70 02
tel;fax:+33 (0)388 60 22 18