Hi Frank,

I would have assumed that the purpose of the experiment would have
been defined in the publication associated with the deposition - not
to trivialize your point, which is very important, but to put it in
context. I would also assume that the sequence and ligands are as per
the associated PDB deposition. So so far we are quite a way towards
being able to get something useful from this data with what we have
already. The relationship to associated data sets - this is harder,
certainly, but not impossible. In particular, how frequently is it the
case that the measurements from these 15 similar data sets actually
contribute directly to the structure solution? Obviously there is a
process as defined in a lab book, but you could take the stance, at
least in the first instance, that they do not directly contribute if
the same conclusions would be reached in their absence.

Obviously any repository must be more than an FTP site, and must allow
the scientific links between structures and data to be made (for
example including the model used for the successful molecular
replacement.) It does seem clear to me though that we cannot set up
the perfect repository in the first instance, but we do have to start
somewhere.

Perhaps we do not need the right answer, but one which is less wrong
that not making available the data at all?

Just my thoughts on this.

Cheers,

Graeme