Paula,

     I would also suggest upgrading your processor to one that is capable
of hardware virtualization.  If you plan on implementing any virtual
machines to use multiple operating systems on your laptop, this
upgrade may be worth it for the extra performance you gain.  I can't
comment on how much of a difference it actually makes for a
cost-benefit comparison, but something to consider.

-Andy