Yuan,

Did you permute your axis in orthorhombic so your screw axis is in the right place? Did you decide on the screw axis according to systematic absences? You could permute the axis and try to merge in monoclinic, but I would not recommend it if the data actually has pseudomerohedral twinning. The two crystals will likely have differing twin fractions introducing more error. What you need is a new complete dataset from a single crystal if the space group is monoclinic. The large drop in R-factor is a strong indication that the data is twinned as long as your model is pretty accurate. Your twin fraction is probably going to be close to 0.5 if you could merge your data in orthorhombic so "detwinning" would not be possible (and I wouldn't recommend doing it anyway). The way Phenix.refine refines a model with a high twin fraction is different (proportionality rules) which can introduce model bias, so your model should be pretty close to the end product. I recommend refining your structure as well as you can without inputting the twin law until the very end.

Jon Schuermann

--
Jonathan P. Schuermann, Ph. D.
Beamline Scientist