Well - first use pointless to see if there is any agreement between the two data sets. You can input the unmerged scalepack output.. Use the option - find Laue group for each data set - it will suggest if you should have point group 222 or just 2.

And then the option.
match index to reference and again it will suggest how to reindex the data to get a better agreement..

The reindexing has to be k,h,-l in fact to get the cells to agree which means the spacegroup cant be P21 but it seems much more likely the point group IS P222..

Finding twin operators when you have assigned the wrong spacegroup can be tricky.

Re the lower FreeR - were you careful to maintain the 222 symmetry of the FreeR assignment? If not and if the point group really is 222 then the FreeR can be misleading. And again if you now have doubled the number of "independent" molecules in the asymmetric unit the r factors will usually fall..
Eleanor

Yuan Cheng wrote:
Hi everyone,
I have some question about the merging of diffraction data from different crystals. I have two (room-temperature) datasets in my hand and each of them can be scaled in P21 space group and the screw axis is along k. However,each dataset only have below 55% completeness. To get better completeness, I am trying to merge this two datasets. The problem is one dataset has cell dimension (80.632,87.085,114.977),(90,90.026,90) and the other one has (85.497,79.857,114.003) (90,90.004,90),. It looks like that the a,b dimensions are switched between these two datasets. Unsurprisingly,the chi^2 is very high when I tried to merge these two datasets in scalepack.I am wondering whether there is any way to reindex these two datasets to make their a/b dimensions match. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. By the way, as you might notice, the beta angle is pretty close to 90 degree. I scaled the datasets into P212121 or P2221 or P21212 at the beginning,I had no trouble to merge them in these space groups. However,I could not make the Rfree go below 45% during following refinement (2.7 angstrom cutoff). Phenix.xtriage indicated that there might exist twinning but no twin law is given. Then I reindexed the data into P2 and scaled them in P21 SG.Phenix.xtriage indicates there exists a pseudomerohedral twinning operator. When I used the twin law given in phenix.refine,the Rfree could go down to 29%. So I think P21 might be the correct space group.
    Thanks again for any suggestion.

Yuan