On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 8:45 AM, <Eric Karg> <harvard...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I wanted to know which type of graphics card is more suitable for a
> notebook which is going to be used for structural biology. Integrated or
> dedicated? ATI or NVIDIA? At the moment I have to choose between an
> integrated Intel HD Graphics or a dedicated NVIDIA NVS 3100M Graphics. Any
> suggestions are highly appreciated.

Definitely NVidia or (maybe) ATI.  NVidia's Linux support has usually been
much better.  The integrated graphics will probably be okay for rebuilding
in Coot, but you won't get hardware antialiasing and as soon as you try to
do something complex like PyMOL surfaces, you're going to wish you had a
better computer.

-Nat