I found a practical solution to a similar problem. When I get large gap between Rf/R in refmac I repeat the refinement in PHENIX using the same model and the same mtz file, It has always worked for me. And I have no theory for that observation, but the tables in publications looked better.

Maia

Quoting "Ian Tickle" <ianj...@gmail.com>:

Jackie

I agree completely with Ed (for once!), not only for the reasons he
gave, but also that it's valid to compare statistics such as
likelihood and R factors ONLY if only the model is varied.  Such a
comparison is not valid if the data used are varied (in this case you
are changing the data by deleting some of them).

Cheers

-- Ian