An excerpt from the Shelx manual (which I think is a good reference for proper
handling of atoms on special positions in refinement of small or large
molecules):

4.3 Special position constraints
Constraints for the coordinates and
anisotropic displacement
parameters for atoms on special positions are generated automatically by
the program for ALL special positions in ALL space groups, in
conventional
settings or otherwise. For upwards compatibility with SHELX-76, free
variables
may still be used for this, but it is better to leave it to the program.
If the occupancy is not input, the program will fix it at the
appropriate
value for a special position. If the user applies (correct or incorrect)
special position constraints using free variables etc., the program
assumes
this has been done with intent and reports but does not apply the
correct
constraints; accidental application of wrong special position
constraints
is one of the easiest ways to cause a refinement to 'blow up' !

Also, please check the book of Shmueli and Weiss, "Introduction to
crystallographic statistics" p. 5, last paragraph  and the next page where a
rigorous treatment of of contribution to the structure factor of atoms in
general and special positions in the unit cell is given (eq. 1.2.10).

Thus, occupancy of an atom on a 3-fold would be 1/3, 1/2 on a 2-fold,
1/4 on a 4-fold and so forth.

 Cheers,

           Boaz