The forces acting on an atom at a special position must have the same
symmetry on average as the special position, so the atom will be in
equilibrium, and there will at first sight be no net force (i.e. zero
energy gradient) to push the atom away from the special position.
However there are 2 solutions to this: metastable equilibrium where
the energy is a maximum, and stable equilibrium where it's a minimum.
In the metastable case it will be like a pencil balanced on its point
where a small disturbance, such as from random thermal motion, will be
sufficient to move it off the special position to an asymmetric
position of lower energy thus breaking the symmetry, and of course the
initial displacement will be completely random leading to the disorder
you observe.  In the case of stable equilibrium the atom will simply
respond to the disturbance by executing random thermal motion centred
on the special position.  Which case you see in practice will
obviously depend on the precise arrangement of forces acting on the
atom.

Cheers

-- Ian